By Mitchelle Uzorka
The Federal government Today April 6th, 2022 approved Twelve new private universities in Nigeria.
This was disclosed by the Minister of culture and information, Lai Mohammed at the end of the Council meeting, presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, on Wednesday in Abuja.
The Newly approved Universities are located in Kano, Niger, Gombe, Sokoto, Delta, Abia, Anambra and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
The proposed private universities are:
• Pen Resource University Gombe,Gombe state
• Al-Ansar University, Maiduguri, Borno state
• Margaret Lawrence I -University, Delta state
• Khalifa Ishaku Rabiu University Kano, Kano state.
• Sports University Idumuje Ugboko, Delta state
• Bala Ahmed University Kano
•Saisa University of Medical Sciences and Technology, Sokoto state
• Nigerian-British University Hasa, Abia state
• Peter University Acina-Onene, Anambra state
• Newgate University, Minna, Niger state
• European University of Nigeria in Duboyi, Abuja
• North-West University Sokoto
Lai Mohammed added that the approval was given by the council following a memorandum presented by the Ministry of Education on behalf of the National University Commission (NUC) and also each of the new universities will be mentored by the old universities nearer to them.